The Department of Business Industry and Skills (BIS) has given permission to create a new Employer Led Trailblazer Apprenticeship for the outdoor sector.
This IOL page is for the Employer-Led group to share key background details and development papers. Their intent is to develop apprenticeships that:
- Are appropriate for the full range of job specialisms making up the Outdoor Sector.
- Meet the needs of the full range of delivery models in the sector.
- Will be appropriate for employees working in Outdoor Education; Recreation; Adventure; Tourism and any other aspects.
- Will be based heavily on current known and valued in-sector training and assessment courses.
Latest Consultation Documents April 2017
Following development and consultations the employer group have fine tuned the Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer Apprenticeship Standard ready for submission to BIS. The latest (final draft) version is below - we welcome any comments direct to the Project Manager
Submission for Approval
Following the latest guidance from the newly formed Institute for Apprenticeships (April 19th) the employer group are on track for 2017 starts and are looking to submit the Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer Standard in the June/July window. To do this:
- They need costing information on typical apprentice journeys from a full range of employers
- They will need to know how many apprentice "starts” to expect
- They will need at least three quotes from training providers for the “off-the-job training” element
- They will need at least one quote from an assessing organisation for “end-point assessment”
If your organisation (or part of it) is a training provider or assessing organisation and can provide a quote please get in touch and we will let you know what is needed from a submission point of view.
If you are preparing costing information on typical apprentice journeys PLEASE do send it to Neal if you haven’t already done so.
If you are considering Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer apprenticeships in 2017/18 please begin thinking of likely start dates and numbers.
Guidance: Employer guide to apprenticeships
Information about how funding for apprenticeships will work from May 2017
Join the Working Group, Virtual Group or Email Group
To contribute to the shaping of the standards and assessment standards or be kept up to date with progress, you are invited to join one of our three project groups. View list of current group members.
- To physically meet to design the required standards and assessment model
- To be kept up-to-speed on developments and periodically be asked to contribute their view via on-line consultations
- To follow progress without needing to be actively involved
Record of Meeting & Consultation Dates
- To ADD, CHANGE OR REMOVE your name from a group please email Louise at IOL.
- WORKING GROUP - October 4th - @PGL, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire
- OPEN CONSULTATION - October 13/14 - @IOL National Conference - Stone, Staffordshire
- WORKING GROUP - October 18th - @Kendal College, Cumbria
- VIRTUAL GROUP + WORKING GROUP - 28 October 2016 - Receive documents for comment
- WORKING GROUP - 3 November 2016, 5-6 - Online GoToMeeting
- WORKING GROUP - 10 November 2016, 10-3 - @JCA Condover Hall, Shropshire
- VIRTUAL GROUP + WORKING GROUP - 2 December 2016 - Receive documents for comment
- WORKING GROUP - 8 December 2016, 10.00-11.00 - Online GoToMeeting
- OUTDOOR SECTOR + VIRTUAL GROUP + WORKING GROUP - 15 December 2016 - Receive documents for comment. Online Survey open.
- WORKING GROUP - 10 January 2017, 10-3 - @Kingswood Dearne Valley, Doncaster (Online Survey Closed)
- WORKING GROUP - 1 March 2017, 10.00-11.00 - Online GoToMeeting
- WORKING GROUP - 29 March 2017, 10-3 - @FSC Bishops Wood, Stourport-on-Severn
- WORKING GROUP - 20 April 2017, 10.00-11.00 - Online GoToMeeting
Wednesday 14th June
Venue: Haven Banks OEC, Exeter
Times: 10:00 - 15:00
Purpose: 1. Update on "Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer” submission. 2. Discuss the fourth draft of the "Outdoor Learning Session Deliverer” Assessment plan. 3. Discuss typical apprentice journeys and costings
Apprenticeships - Background and context
Applying to BIS for Trailblazer status
Trailblazer group and sector up-dates
What is the relationship between IOL and the Employer Led Apprenticeship?
IOL as the professional body in the sector are working in partnership the employerled initiative. The Employer Group has asked Neal Anderson from IOL to take a project management role in helping that group consult and produce its standards, assessment thinking and governance thoughts for submission to BIS. The Institute will use the apprenticeship standards developed by employers to inform an update and revision of some of our professional standards.
Find out more about the IOL Professional Standards update here
How can I get involved in the Employer Led Apprenticeship Development?
If you are an employer and would like further information or to chat about the opportunity to get involved please contact:
Outdoor Trailblazer Apprenticeships Project Chair
PGL. Manager – HR External Partnerships.
Mobile: 07977 987712
Office switchboard: 0333 321 2100 - Email
Outdoor Trailblazer Apprenticeships Project Manager
IOL Professional Standards Manager
Mobile: 07899 856518 - Email